California is currently facing a botulism outbreak as over 10 cases have been confirmed so far. The authorities are currently doing everything in their power to contain the outbreak that already claimed the life of a man. All other patients are currently hospitalized in critical condition. It seems the source of the disease lies in a local gas station’s nacho cheese dip, all patients eating the product before falling ill.
All Patients Ate at the Valley Oak Food and Fuel Gas Station
All individuals who ate the nacho cheese sauce at the Valley Oak Food and Fuel gas station at the end of April were shortly hospitalized in critical condition. One woman was paralyzed and spent almost 3 weeks in the ICU, missing her birthday in the process. Another patient died after suffering severe complications.
Currently, the number of people showing botulism-related symptoms is on the rise. Individuals in the area are starting to get concerned despite the overwhelming assurances provided by the authorities who believe the only source of the Clostridium botulinum bacteria was eliminated with the sauce.
However, it is still unclear whether the food was already contaminated upon arrival or the gas station personnel mishandled it, leading to the appearance of the deadly bacteria. Despite the store being ordered to stop selling these products since May 5, the gas station is currently selling prepackaged meals.
More about botulism
Botulism is a rare condition that can be caused by contaminated food, an open wound or contaminated soil. When it is not treated right and quick, botulism can lead to paralysis and, in over 5 percent of cases, even death. There are 3 types of botulism: infant botulism, wound botulism, and foodborne botulism. All are caused by a toxin named Clostridium botulinum.
Normally, a person develops symptoms about 18 hours after ingesting or coming into contact with the toxin. Common symptoms include nausea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, blurred vision, trouble breathing, drooping eyelids, facial weakness, and difficulty swallowing and speaking. If you have any of these symptoms you should seek medical attention as soon as possible as the Clostridium botulinum bacteria causes paralysis, its effects lingering even after treatment.
Image source: Wikipedia