A Kansas man died after getting infected from a newly discovered type of virus, according to the US health officials.
The health officials said that the man fell sick after he was bitten by a tick. Some of the symptoms shown by the man included weakness, nausea and diarrhea.
The man reportedly told the doctors that he was bitten an engorged tick which he spotted on his shoulder some days before he fall sick.
According to the health department officials, the man died 11 days after being contracted the virus.
The man was diagnosed with low counts of different blood cell types due to unhealthy suppression of bone marrow, as per the doctors.
The doctors who were administering the man initially prescribed him antibiotic doxycycline, but he showed no signs of improvement and his health condition continued to deteriorate further due to loss of appetite and high fever.
The organ failure further aggravated the man’s health condition, leading to his death 11 days after being admitted to the hospital, said the health officials.
The health experts at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that the newly discovered virus belongs to a family of germs known as Thogotoviruses. The medical experts say the virus is transmitted by mosquitoes and ticks in parts of Asia, Africa and Europe.
Meanwhile, the researchers said that a team of experts will be working in the laboratory to gain close insight into the newly spotted virus.
The virus has been named Bourbon virus after Kansas county, where the infected man had lived.