The number of confirmed cases of measles linked to the last month’s outbreak from Disney parks has increased to 70, according to public health officials.
The new infections from the contagious disease associated with the California theme parks emerged on Wednesday. According to the health officials, the measles outbreak has spread across five US states and Mexico. California has the highest number of confirmed cases, i.e. 62 of the 70 cases.
State epidemiologist Gil Chavez said owing to the fact that measles is a highly contagious disease people who have not received the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine are at higher risk of getting infected.
Chavez also asked the Americans, especially those who are not vaccinated or have a weaker immune system, to avoid visiting Disney “for the time being”.
He also recommended unvaccinated people to avoid crowded places, such as airports, which have a high concentration of international travelers.
Chavez, however, turned down the fears of getting infected among those people who are vaccinated, saying they don’t need to take such precautions.
Among those at highest risk are infants, children, pregnant women, elderly people, those who are unvaccinated and with weak immune systems.
Suzi Brown, Disneyland Resorts spokesperson, also said that the health officials have advised that “it’s absolutely safe to visit if you’re vaccinated.”
The people who confirmed of being infected are between the age group seven months and 70-year-old. The health officials have found that the vast majority of infected people were not vaccinated and a quarter had to be sent to hospitals.