Jeh Johnson, Secretary of US Department of Homeland Security, has cautioned the shoppers against the terror attacks, asking the citizens to remain extra ‘vigilant’ after the threats were made against Mall of America in Minnesota.
Johnson on Sunday said that the shoppers visiting Minnesota’s Mall of America and other shopping centers and even public places require to remain extra ‘vigilant’.
The cautionary warning was issued by the Homeland Security Department after a video was released by a Somali militant group threatening a terror attack.
“The public needs to be particularly vigilant. We’re in a new phase of global terrorist threat right now which involves core Al Qaeda, but now other groups, the ISIL group being the most prominent example of that,” Johnson said while addressing a ‘Meet the Press’ event organized by NBC.
The video, which was released by Al Qaeda-linked rebels in Somalia on Saturday night, asked the Muslims to attack shopping malls in the United States, Britain, Canada and other Western nations.
In the footage, the extremist group ‘Al Shabab’ bragged about its terror attack carried in September last year on the Westgate Mall that killed 67 people Nairobi, Kenya.
The 76-minute video showed the narrator warning of more terror attacks in Kenya, calling for more such assaults on shopping malls, mainly those listing at the Mall of America in Minnesota, the Westfield Mall in Stratford, England and the West Edmonton Mall in Canada.
In the video, the unidentified narrator says, “If just a handful of mujahedeen fighters could bring Kenya to a complete standstill for nearly a week, imagine what a dedicated mujahedeen in the West could do to the American or Jewish-owned shopping centers across the world.”
Meanwhile, the officials at the Mall of America said that they have made necessary security arrangements to counter such attacks.