The man says he was severely burned on his upper thigh after he tried to take the phone out of his pocket unsuccessfully.
Erik Johnson, the man who claims he was injured by an exploding iPhone, explains that he was trying to his keys, when all of a sudden he heard a popping noise and smoke started coming out of his pocket. He felt the phone burning and melting into his flesh.
Johnson, scared and in pain, struggled to remove the iPhone 5C out of his pocket but could not do it.
He explained that he started to jump up and down so that he could take the phone out of his pocket but because of his pants, he couldn’t do it. Johnson believes that the iPhone melted the pockets closed and he couldn’t open them to remove the burning phone. He eventually had to rip off the pants and throw them away from his body.
According to Johnson, the burns were so severe that he had to be hospitalized for 10 days and recover after suffering mostly second and third degree burns.
Apple is currently investigating the allegations and determine whether or not they are true.
This is not the first time Apple gets accused of faulty, exploding iPhones.
In 2009 there was a similar incident in which a teenager from France suffered injuries after his phone started to hiss and release smoke.
According to experts, phones can release hot lithium if its battery is overheated or there is a flaw in the circuit board.
In 2013, Apple investigated a claim saying that a Chinese woman got electrocuted while she was trying to charge her iPhone.
Erik Johnson’s lawyer says that it’s not yet clear whether his client will press charges against Apple.
He stated that Apple must look into the matter and have closer look at what it’s releasing for commercial purposes since its products can turn out so dangerous.
Image Source: patrickkphillips