The officials of Pennsylvania health department have refuted any threat of measles outbreak at the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia and a nearby pharmacy.
The state health department on Friday issued a statement over a suspected case saying that the person, who was suspected to have measles early this week, was tested negative for the highly contagious disease.
“Based on initial information received from those involved in the treatment of the individual and based on initial investigation by the department, it was believed this was a likely case of measles and public notification was made out of an abundance of caution,” said Pennsylvania health secretary Michael Wolf.
The identity of the person is still not revealed.
Wolf confirmed that the southeastern Pennsylvania is not facing any public health threat for measles.
The health department had issued the public alert for measles exposure as 20 measles outbreaks have been reported nationwide over the past year despite the fact that measles is a vaccine-preventable disease.
The main concern is about the outbreak as the health experts say the symptoms for the highly contagious disease take up to two weeks to start appearing.
“The infected droplets and secretions can remain contagious on surfaces for up to two hours,” the health department said in a statement.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports have clearly showed 610 measles case spread across 20 different outbreaks last year. The year 2014 alone witnessed more than triple the cases that have ever been reported in any single year since 2001. The CDC said that a major outbreak in Philippines may be partially responsible for it.