The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have already started to look into the matter and revealed that there have been 341 infections linked to Salmonella Poona contamination in 30 different states. Up until now, 70 people had to be hospitalized and two people died. More than 50 percent of the people affected by the bacteria were under 18.
The cucumbers that were contaminated were distributed by Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce. The CDC interviewed the people who got infected and it seems 68 percent of them said they had eaten cucumbers from Mexico at least seven days before they felt sick.
Representatives of the company that distributes the vegetables said that they voluntarily recalled the cucumbers that were labeled “Limited Edition” on Friday. Now they are trying to determine if they were the reason behind the outbreak. The infected cucumbers were sold between the 1st of August and the 3rd of September.
Whole Foods Market representative Michael Silverman said that the company did not carry the infected cucumbers: “We did and do not carry the cucumbers at issue in this recall,” he wrote in an email on Sunday.
CDC officials advise restaurants and other retailers to stop using the product and preferably to dispose of it. It was reported that until the news of the outbreak was released, the cucumbers were sold in Arizona, Alaska, Colorado, California, Idaho, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Montana, Mississippi, New Jersey, Nevada, Oklahoma, New Mexico, South Carolina, Oregon, Utah and Texas.
Consumers who have purchased cucumbers should also be on the lookout and check if they are at risk with their Safeway store.
As far as Canada is concerned, the Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) have not reported any cases of salmonella – related illness.
Salmonella is a bacteria of the Enterobactericeae family. Its most common strains lead to food poisoning. The first symptoms that a person is suffering from Salmonellosis are fever, diarrhea, vomiting and stomach aches.
Salmonella can be found almost anywhere in the environment, but especially in cold-blooded and warm-blooded animals. Health experts recommend people to cook the food thoroughly and refrigerate leftovers properly before consuming them.
The symptoms usually go away in a couple of days, but some people, especially those with a weaker immune system can get very sick and even die unless treatment is provided as soon as possible.
Image Source: foodsafetynews