John Dicey, senior addiction expert at Allen Carr’s Easyway and best-selling author of “Good Sugar, Bad Sugar,” explains that there is a huge difference between the good sugars in our diets and the bad ones.
And we should start getting informed on the difference if we plan to stay young and healthy for a longer time. According to Dicey, ‘good sugar’ is naturally occurring in unprocessed foods, fruits and vegetables, whilst ‘bad sugar’ is either refined white or brown sugar or present in processed foods with a high sugar content such as chocolate, sweets and deserts.
But a less obvious source of bad sugar are processed pasta, rice, bread, and other starchy carbs such as potato chips.
Dicey agreed to give us at least ten reasons why sugar is bad for our health and why it should be purged from our diets for good:
- Excess bad sugar causes diabetes, and you don’t need to be overweight to develop the condition if you keep indulging in your favorite sugar-laden foods. Once you have developed type 2 diabetes, you should prepare for a lifelong struggle to keep it in check and prevent it from leading to blindness, limb amputations, and organ failure.
- Bad sugar is not a reliable source of energy. It just briefly lifts your blood sugar and energy levels to make you hungry the next moments. Additionally, such massive fluctuation in glucose levels has a negative impact on your mood.
- Bad sugar is a sure recipe for tooth decay.
- Bad sugar promotes weight gain which has dreadful consequences on our mood, sex life, health, and self-esteem.
- Sugar is depleted of nutrients. This may be why we tend to eat so much of it.
- Processed carbohydrates in white bread, pasta, and rice causes bloating. So, if you plan to fix the issue try removing sugar from your diet first.
- Bad sugar makes you tired, slow, and fed up. And don’t fall for food industry’s claims that energy drinks could solve the problem, cause they don’t. They just tackle a symptom when the root cause is sugar.
- Bad sugar causes wrinkles because it disrupts collagen production within the body. Collagen is a protein that helps build muscle, nail, and hair tissue and keeps your skin look plump and wrinkle-free.
- Sugar will not help your kids achieve an active, long and fulfilling life. So, you should start educating them right now.
- And last but not least: sugar makes you addicted to it.
Image Source: Pixabay